What kind of question is that? A question that I get from just about every person that I meet who hears about my Crohn's and my symptoms/side effects. Often times I avoid even sharing that with people because I dread hearing the question so much.
The answer is, I just freaking do. I don't know how else to explain it.
Someone asked me this the other day and it really irritated me more than usual. I thought about why this got to me so bad and I think it is because I don't actually like to think about it. I just do what I do and keep trucking along. When you look at it from an outside perspective I guess it does seem pretty crazy though. In my mind I feel like I'm pretty normal but when you break it down there are many things that people without Crohn's or chronic illnesses just don't do.
I've come up with a list of things that may seem foreign to everyone else but I have mastered..... You can never say being sick didn't teach you anything! My fellow Crohnies will definitely relate....
1. Budgeting massive amounts of money for medical bills/medications
2. Buying three different pants size for malnourished, normal, and bloated to the point of looking 6 months pregnant
3. Checking the menu anywhere and everywhere before agreeing to go out to eat
4. Being the annoying girl that orders "Tito's with soda water please" when everyone else is being the "cool girl" drinking beer
5. Sneaking your own snacks everywhere
6. Planning out a hibernation period after "shot/infusion days"
7. Becoming best friends with your doctor and everyone that works in the office so they actually call you back when you call them saying that you're dying even when you may or may not just be having a bad flare (I do this often)
8. Never actually knowing what a hangover feels like anymore because you always feel bad or have a steady flow of Zofran in your body
9. Playing off brain fog with impeccable improvisation
10. Looking at life's crappy moments in a funny way because, hey, how else are you supposed to do it?!
Blonde babe. Maryland native. Crohn's crushing puppy mother to two sweet rescues.